Re: www-talk configuration (Re: Message from WEBER at BCRVM1)

> The problem is tht www-talk is not configured correctly. To guard against
> incidents like this one, a mail server should *not* set the From: field
> to the listname, but insted should have
>
> From: owner-listname

No, that isn't how mail systems work.  Suffice it to say that the
www-<lists> already do everything possible to prevent such problems
without interfering with authoring and reply process, but people
persist in writing STUPID mail handlers which ignore every
requirement of Internet mail.

In this case, the guilty party is IBM and one of their bitnet gateways.

It isn't my job any more, but I went ahead and unsubscribed the
offender and put them on the permanent reject list.  We will not
be receiving any more problems from that address.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/