Re: Phone # and Postal Code System Information

> I've been working on cleaning up the Yellow Pages (http://www.yellow.com)
> that we run here, and am looking for the following information (for non-US
> contries).  Particullary I'm looking for information for Canada and Europe.
>
> For all of the following I'm looking for the following information:
>
> 	What is the standard format for writing the "value"
> 	   (e.g. US phone numbers are typically: "1 (503) 555-1212")

The phone number is often written twice, in national and international
style:

	Int. +46 area-code local-number
	Nat. area-code local-number

Area-code given in national style is anything between two and four
digits. When given in international style, the first zero is excluded
since you don't dial that digit when calling from abroad.

Local-number is (currently) anything between five and eight digits,
even within the same area.

Examples:

International				National
+46 8 10 25 10				08-10 25 10
+46 8 790 6000				08-790 6000
+46 8 580 840 00			08-580 840 00
+46 18 18 25 00				018-18 25 00
+46 920 91 000				0920-91 000

Confusing? Not if you are Swedish!

> 	What is any local/international prefix information, and
> 	   any standard variations of the above.
> 	   (e.g. Norwegian postal codes are prefixed with 'N' when
> 		 used in an international context "N9005" or "N-9005")

Example:

S-100 44 Stockholm

The Swedish postal code are prefixed with the letter "S" for Sweden
and a dash.

> 	What is valid for the "value"
> 	   (e.g. US Zip codes are 5 digits followed by an optional '-'
> 		 and four more digits)

As above: Five digits, written with a space between the third and the
fourth digit.

 What country is this information for:	Sweden
         Telephone number information:	+46 8 790 6000 (international)
					08-790 6000 (national)
              Postal code information:	S-100 44 Stockholm

> Addresses:
> 	How are addresses writting you in this country,
>
> 	City, State Postal	-- USA
> 	Postal City 		-- Norway
	Postal City		-- Sweden

/Ulla

P.S. A few people write the phone number as +46 (0)8 790 6000, adding
the national zero to the international number. However, this is not
very common.

Ulla Sandberg (ulla@stupi.se)