Re: HTML and LISTSERV

--------

I think that the question of formats between the different listserves would
be a significant problem.

But in addition, I wonder what the value of having it as part of the
core language is, compared to being a core cgi-bin script?

There are two places the language can expand:

	1) the language syntax
	2) the language support libraries.

		(I see the cgi-bin scripts as support libraries)

We have:

http://www.peak.org/cgi-bin/www_md_front?lbesd-announce

as a way of making majordomo subscriptions. Why does this need to move
into the core language?

steveha@cix.compulink.co.uk (Steve Harris) writes:

 % I'm an extreme novice at HTML and I have the temerity to suggest a "gap"
 % in the language that might be easily and usefully filled.
 %
 % It's easy enough to create a straight "mailto" link but if the link is to
 % a mailing list (such as LISTSERV types) or other mail driven resource, the
 % user has to type in "SUBSCRIBE WHATEVER-L "John Doe" or something.
 %
 % How much better if this were to be automated :-)
 %
 % So, an extension would fill in the required details. It would get the main
 % syntax from the HTML itself while the user's browser can provide the name
 % and e-mail address (if required)
 %
 % My particular project is to make my "Emotional Support on the Internet"
 % more accessible. Many of the support groups are mailing lists. To take a
 % look at the *very* early prototype, check out:
 %
 % http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/support/emotional/resour
 % ces-list/faq.html
 %
 % Hope I've been suggesting this in the right place. If it's necessary to
 % subscribe to see the response, please can someone mail me and tell me how.
 % Daniel W. Connolly just gave me the www-talk@w3.org address.
 %
 % Steve
 %

-----
John Sechrest         .         Helping people use
Executive Director      .           computers and Internet
Computer Science Outreach .            more effectively
303 Dearborn Hall            .
Oregon State University         .      Internet: sechrest@cs.orst.edu
Corvallis Oregon 97331               .           (503) 737-5562
                                            .    http://www.csos.orst.edu/