Developing 'language tags' for HTML3.0

Hi..

From what I have read accented characters and non-greek
alphabets (including greek..) will still be presented as
&doodad; in HTML3.0. I was wondering if any consideration has
ever been given to developing a <LANGUAGE></LANGUAGE> tag,
usable something like <LANGUAGE TYPE=greek>Now uses greek alphabet
</LANGUAGE> or <LANGUAGE TYPE=japanese>... Sanskri.. Cerulic..

I would guess translation of the characters could be accomplished either
through some module added to the server, or be a browser-specific
incorporation.

If such is already in the works, sorry for the distraction.
Send replies to lynn@pharmdec.wustl.edu.. I'm not on the list.

ln