Re: Intelligent Rating Systems

	From: "R. Martin Roscheisen" <rmr@cs.stanford.edu>

	Yes, two separate retrievals, and not only two, but one (for the
	document retrieval) plus n other requests to n meta information
	servers which serve m rating topics (m>=n).

Martin argues as I would.  If you want to read some more scalability
arguments for group and public annotations in general, my paper in the
spring 95 WWW conference is available at:

  http://union.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~liberte/www/scalable-annotations.html

	You cannot assume that a content provider will be willing to carry
	ratings by others.

True, but if they do offer them, why not consider them, with due caution?

Daniel LaLiberte (liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
http://union.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~liberte/