Re: KidCode: Next steps

> Even better would be to be able to block just specific parts of documents.
> What I have in mind goes beyond the blocking of adult information -
> it should be possible to get tailored presentations where unwanted information
> is stripped, thus better serve the neds of the reader.

Well, since a "document" is the smallest thing to transfer, you never
really want "part of a document".  What you seem to want is to get
different documents depending on your preferences.  Of course,
advertisers *want* you to see their stuff, so they're unlikely to label
it as "advertisement" or the home VCR manufacturers would already have
invented a reliable commercial-zapper.

If you're talking about KidCode and the ability to see different
documents based on your age, it's not inconceivable that a URL of the
form http://.../blah/KidCode.any/blah.html could be made with the
understanding that a KidCode browser would fill in the age for "any" and
get different documents as appropriate. This still wouldn't require any
changes to servers (if you were willing to make a bunch of symlinks), but
I think *this* is getting too complicated to implement quickly.

  ---Darren