Re: KidCode: Next steps

At 9:34 PM 95/06/19, Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:
>If I thought that by ignoring the censors we could make them go away, or
>make them irrelevant, I wouldn't be bothering with this effort.  But the
>reality right now is that, in the US, anything posted on the Internet is
>already liable to be held obscene by the standards of the most
>narrow-minded jurisdiction on the net.  The situation is already bad &
>could get a lot worse.  In today's America, if the only choices is
>between A) a total lack of even voluntary restrictions and B) ham-handed
>censorship, the latter will almost certainly win.

So we outside the US are free to mount what you can't?  How will your
legilators control access to our sites overseas?  I can't see how
censorship wil be a practical proposition when you -

1.  Can't control what we publish
2.  Can't block access without easily without losing other things of value.

There is an advantage to be obtained by those free of arbitrary Government
control.  This looks like a case of your Congress throwing the baby out
with the bathwater.

Tony

Tony Barry                  URL:http://snazzy.anu.edu.au/People/TonyB.html
Centre for Networked Information and Publishing & also
Centre for Networked Access to Scholarly Information  fone  +61 6 249 4632
Australian National University Library                phax  +61 6 279 8120
Canberra  A.C.T. 0200, AUSTRALIA                      tony@info.anu.edu.au