Sunsetting of www-announce@w3.org

In message <199506060612.XAA02017@get.hooked.net>, Paul Williams writes:
>>Could someone please forward me the address for the www-announce group?
>>Thanks!
>>

>www-announce@www10.w3.org

The www-announce mailing list will probably go away soon. We are
revising our mailing lists and other public services. With the
availability of services like NCSA/GNN whats-new, Yahoo, and the
USENET www groups, the www-announce mailing list doesn't seem
sufficiently valuable to merit the maintenance costs.

So I would suggest you send announcements to one or more of
the following:

comp.infosystems.www.announce
ncsa-wn@gnn.com (see http://www.gnn.com/gnn/wn/whats-new-form-email.html)
admin@yahoo.com (see http://www.yahoo.com/bin/add)

To the subscirbers of www-announce: If you cannot access any of the
above services, I suggest you look into a USENET-by-mail service
such as described in section 44 of the USENET FAQ[1], or perhaps
one of the emerging web-by-mail profiling services (Verity[2] develops
technology for this, but I don't know if they support any such services.)

Please direct feedback to myself <connolly@w3.org> and Karen MacArthur
<kmm@w3.org>, our web editor and public services contact.

By the way... lest you get the idea that our public services will be
drying up as we become an industrially funded group: we plan to
upgrade some services too. The idea is to focus on what we're good at,
and let other folks do general purpose news reporting. For example,
keep an eye out for upgraded access to www-* archives, including
searching and perhaps some wigged out stuff from the MIT AI lab that
will answer questions automatically!

[1] http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/usenet-faq/part1/faq.html
[2] http://www.verity.com/

Daniel W. Connolly        "We believe in the interconnectedness of all things"
Research Technical Staff, MIT/W3C
<connolly@w3.org>             http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/People/Connolly