Re: MetaMAP patents (was Re: Hot Java is here! And it *rocks*)

Joe English said (with regard to MetaMAP's patent):

>   And the validity of the patent makes it completely
>   unsuitable for Web-based imagemaps:  this technology
>   has zero chance of being selected for standardization
>   by the IETF or W3O because of the patent.

I think that's slightly wrong.  The IETF (and W3O?) can standardize
patented technology, provided anyone can license the technology under
"reasonable" terms.  That said, folks often prefer public domain
technology over licensed technology exactly because they have a freer
hand with it.

Dave Kristol