CERN httpd binaries for Sun4 does not use DNS?

Dear WWW managers,

I have recently downloaded the CERN precompiled binaries for a small Sun
IPX running SunOS 4.1.3. Allmost everything is running fine, but I can't
get httpd to do name lookups via DNS. DNS is running OK for all other
applications.

I have set the httpd.conf directives for DNSlookup and IndetityCheck on,
but this does not help. I'm beginning to suspect that the precompiled httpd
is set to use NIS for name lookups rather than DNS, and that setting of
httpd.conf directives does not help. May this be right, and, if so, is
there a way to solve this without re-compiling?

The lack of name lookup would not be a major problem, but I intend to offer
my web server as a proxy server to users on campus, to decrease the network
load, and then the httpd has to do name lookups to locate other servers.

I also downloaded the source for the CERN httpd and tried to compile it,
but I got stuck in a mess where make tries to write to directories that
does not exist, and read from files that not are in the right place. Is
this specific to my machine or is it a known problem for the Sun4 platform?

Thanks for any help
Ulf

Ulf Kronman                                             WWW coordinator
Dept. for Information Technology                  Voice: +46 8 728 7133
Karolinska Institutet                               Fax: +46 8 33 68 26
S-171 77 Stockholm, SWEDEN               Internet: Ulf.Kronman@it.ki.se