Re: Hot Java is here! And it *rocks*

> If you take a close look at Java, you'll realize that it bears a close
> similarity to Viola, since the "applets" must be coded from a predefined
> language, downloaded and locally interpreted.  Of course this is another
> "monolithic" approach (notice that java takes up 10MB of RAM and about 12 of
> disk) that assumes that one can create a single language that all
> applications can be crafted from.  API's, (such as the Eolas Weblet(TM)
> technology, http://www.eolas.com) that allow "applets" to be created using
> the most appropriate tools and then embedded in binary form within Web
> pages, are much more flexible and powerful.

We rejected this technique for two reasons:
 1. Portability.  If you use "the most appropriate tools" this probably
    means your favorite C (or whatever) compiler.  These almost always
    generate machine code, which will only run on the platform it was
    compiled for.  There are many different CPU architectures on the net.
    Java uses a bytecode that is machine independent that can either be
    interpreted or compiled on-the-fly in the destination machine (the
    current release only interprets).
 2. Safety.  One of the things about the intermediate code that Java uses
    is that we can do a lot of analysis to check that the code fragment is
    safe to use and isn't going to do something wild like overwrite memory
    or remove random files.  There are several documents on security in the
    release that you should take a look at (they're pointed to from the
    "documentation" entry of the "help" menu).

I don't know where you got the 10Mb number - the instance of the browser
running on my machine right now is using 4.7Mb.