Re: CD-ROM - WWW pages

pinj@di.uminho.pt (Jose Pina Miranda) in <9503240112.AA26627@shiva.di.uminho.pt>:
> In the WWW National Conference (URL http://www.di.uminho.pt/cnw3.html )
>we want to offer a CD-ROM to all the participants.
>The CD-ROM will have, among other useful informations, some WWW pages from
>all around the World to show people, without Internet connection, how the Web
>looks like.

We are currently developing such a thing. It will be able to
download a whole bunch documents following all the links. Well, not
*all* the links since this would provide you with the contents of
the whole Web (or more likely run out of disk space before).

More likely you will limit access to a single server or a subset of
it. Example: Start with
<http://www.nads.de/~klute/WWW-Kompendium/> but don't follow links
pointing outside http://www.nads.de/~klute/WWW-Kompendium.

Since it is be reasonable to follow some links to the outside,
downloading documents up to a certain configurable "distance"
from the starting tree is also supported.

While following links you can check the integrity of your (or
someone else's) Web at the same time.

This stuff is already running quite nicely. Storing the documents
on a DOS filesystem is presently under work. Using a DOS filesystem
may seem a bit awkward to you, but it has some advantage: You can
put a set of documents on a disk(ette), take some WWW client
for Windows, and show the Web to someone on his own PC without an
Internet connection.

Best regards
Rainer Klute

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute        NADS - Advertising on nets
  NADS GmbH
  Emil-Figge-Str. 80                Tel.: +49 231 9742570
D-44227 Dortmund                    Fax:  +49 231 9742571

            <http://www.nads.de/~klute/>