Re: exploring a crowdsourced certification trust metric with svg/javascript animation

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:59:33 -0500
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: www-talk <www-talk@w3.org>
On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 12:39 -0400, Doug Schepers wrote:
> Hi, Dan-
>
> Dan Connolly wrote (on 4/14/10 12:23 PM):
> > On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 12:13 -0400, Doug Schepers wrote:
> >
> >>  Is there a Web-facing installation that I can explore without digging
> >>  into the source myself?
> >
> > Now there is...
> >    http://people.w3.org/~connolly/socialsim/socialpg.html
> >

> Sweet.
>
> So, this seems good for finding bad guys... could it also serve as a
> model for superheroes?

In advogato, it's used to identify 3 levels:

"Advogato performs certification to three different levels: Apprentice,
Journeyer, and Master. This is actually done by running the basic trust
metric three times, using the "level" value in the certificate as a
threshold. Thus, certification of Apprentices is computed using all
certificates, while Master is computed using Master certificates only."
 -- http://www.advogato.org/trust-metric.html

>   I'm thinking of a system of karma, where people
> could be modded up for specific contributions in a particular area

I'm thinking people could note specific contributions in
either microblog entries, bookmarks, or a profile bio.

The microblog entries are useful to spread news,
and the profile is handy for "wow... that's a cool
bit of news; who is this person?"

Who knows if it'll work...

>  (thus
> defeating the argument-by-authority fallacy while still identifying and
> rewarding relevant authority.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E