Re: Http 403 Error for W3 DTDs

Mark Baker <mark@coactus.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Sumit Shah<Sumit.Shah@cgifederal.com> wrote:

>> Thank you for your response. Can you please suggest some alternative
>> approaches in the short term until we or the responsible application
>> mitigates this?
>>
>> These issues will impact our customers in production since we rely on
>> 3rd party open source applications that are causing this traffic.
>
> Since they're open source, fix them yourselves; the simplest, most
> generic approach would be to hard code the document that would
> normally be retrieved from w3.org.  If you could submit that change as
> a patch back to the project too, that would be double-plus good.

Sumit,

Yes, as I mentioned earlier many software libraries and utilities have
catalog options which you should explore.  If not you can put up a
caching proxy up in front of your application.  There really is no need
to have it repeatedly request the same resource across the internet.
You should also find doing this the right way (wrt HTTP caching
directives or catalog) should dramatically improve performance.

>>> Many libraries have catalog or caching options and lacking that one can
>>> get a caching proxy in front of their application making repeated DTD
>>> requests.

Regards,

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>