Re: Origin vs Authority; use of HTTPS (draft-nottingham-site-meta-01)

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Breno de Medeiros <breno@google.com> wrote:
> crossdomain.xml was introduce to support a few specific applications
> (notably flash), and it did not take into account the security requirements
> of the application context. Tough.

I'm suggesting we learn from their mistakes instead of making the same
mistakes ourselves.

> Because at this point there is no consensus what a general delegation
> mechanism would look like. Quite possibly, this might be
> application-specific.

Why not handle delegation at the application layer instead of using
HTTP redirects for delegation?

> The alternative is to write a spec that
> introduces complexity to solve problems that we conjecture might exist in
> yet-to-be-developed applications. The risk then is that the spec will not
> see adoption, or that implementors will deploy partial spec compliance in
> ad-hoc fashion, which is also a danger to interoperability.

Great.  Let's remove the complexity of following redirects.

Adam