Re: Query regarding Request Headers in HTTP/1.1

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:40:54 +0100
To: priyanshu13@yahoo.com
CC: www-talk@w3.org

priyanshu jain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have one query regarding Accept Headers in HTTP Request. From our program, client is sending below headers in request...
>
> Type 1:
>
> Accept-Encoding : Gzip
> Accept-Encoding : deflate
>
> Normally accept headers is like that
>
> Type : 2
> Accept-Encoding : Gzip, drflate.
>
> My questions are :
>
> 1. Whether above request headers format (Type 1)is acceptable (or correct).

It is correct.

> 2. If yes, then how the server will deal with it.

The same way as with type 2.

> 3. In RFC2616, where its defined that we can have multiple accept headers with same "filed-value", like we stated above (Type 1).

"Multiple message-header fields with the same field-name MAY be present
in a message if and only if the entire field-value for that header field
is defined as a comma-separated list [i.e., #(values)]. It MUST be
possible to combine the multiple header fields into one "field-name:
field-value" pair, without changing the semantics of the message, by
appending each subsequent field-value to the first, each separated by a
comma. The order in which header fields with the same field-name are
received is therefore significant to the interpretation of the combined
field value, and thus a proxy MUST NOT change the order of these field
values when a message is forwarded." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.4.2.p.5>.

BR, Julian