newbie seeks advice on understanding http protocol

From: ilango_g <ilangocal@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:14:02 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-talk@w3.org

Hi
The HTTP protocol is so fundamental to the world wide web and all web
applications available today. I have still not really understood what http
practically means. I have read a little of the HTTP specs and I have gained
some understanding. However I would like to write simple programs
illustrating HTTP in a scripting or programming language (like C++ or Java))
to really understand what a request is and what a response is, etc.

For example, I have seen HTTPServeLetRequest class in Java, but I really do
not know what is happening. In short I wish to gain a detailed understanding
of the HTTP protocol. I wish to really understand what the HTTP spec is
talking about and apply it to my programming work.

Any suggestions, advice are appreciated. Thanks for your time.

thanks
ilango