Re: Best HTTP Status Code for a Redirect to a Service Suspension Page

From: Hannes Ledl / LEDL & PARTNER <hannes.ledl@ledl.at>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:32:15 +0200
To: <www-talk@w3.org>
Hi Damien,

We had this discussion in our company some days ago. If a customer is not
permitted to get a

special service we decided to use the 403 status.

The 403: Forbidden is very clear, You are not allowed! This will additional
give clear lines in the log files:

Somebody was trying to do something, but she/he was not allowed to do so.
This is similar if somebody

tries to scan your e.g. ‘/picture’ directory.

Hannes Ledl
 <http://www.ledl.at> http://www.ledl.at

LEDL & PARTNER
A- 9220 Velden am Wörthersee