Effect of Vary:Cookie?

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@osiolki.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:42:13 -0000
To: www-talk@w3.org

I'm wondering if Vary:Cookie should cause cache to be invalidated when
cookie changes.

As far as I understand RFC, sending Vary:Cookie should inform browser that
it can cache copy of page only for practicular value of Cookie header, so
if any page later changes site-wide cookie, browser shouldn't use cached
copies any more for any resource that has been sent with Vary:Cookie.

Is that correct?

I've prepared test-case for this:
http://87.230.0.83/cache/index.php

but no browser I know seems to support this. They either don't use cached
copy when Vary is present or ignore change of cookie and use cached
content generated for different value of Cookie header.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński