RE: 4xx responses for bad query strings?

From: NESTING, DAVID M (SBCSI) <dn3723@sbc.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:00:37 -0500
To: "Etan Wexler" <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Cc: <www-talk@w3.org>
> First you need to eliminate the misunderstanding over "HTTP resource".
> The second URI, with the query string, identifies a  first-class HTTP
> resource.

Thanks for your reply, Etan.  Dom also pointed out that the query string SHOULD (though the current revision of the URI specification technically disagrees) be part of the Request-URI and should participate in identifying the resource.

With that confusion out of the way, there's no problem after all and I now feel free to use a 404 (or even a 410) in this situation.

Thanks for your help.

David