Re: Proposal for Numbered Headings

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 03:36:02 +0900 (JST)
To: www-talk@w3.org

"Clint Laskowski" <clint@robotic.com> wrote:

> Now a, perhaps, dumb question... does any browser other than Amya support
> CSS2 counters? Based on what I can see, no.

At least Opera supports it.  If you have Opera, you might want to
have a look at Mark Schenk's interesting document:

  "Publishing scientific documents with XHTML and CSS"
    http://www.markschenk.com/cssexp/publication/article.xml

> Really, what I'm looking for is a way to generate documents (consulting
> reports) with autonumbered headings (in 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 format) other than
> MS-Word. PDF, text (and Word) output options are appreciated, but HTML is a
> _must_. How the heck is everyone else doing this (i.e., DocBook, etc.)?

For printing, html2ps utility provides "seq-number" option:

  seq-number
      When this flag is set, the headings in the document will be
      sequentially numbered: H1 headings will be numbered 1, 2,...,
      H2 headings 1.1, 1.2, etc. The default is 0.

  cf. http://user.it.uu.se/~jan/html2psug.html

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org