Re: Proposal for Numbered Headings

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 05:21:48 +0900 (JST)
To: clint@robotic.com
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

"Clint Laskowski" <clint@robotic.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm new to this list and apologize if this is the wrong place to make
> the following proposal. I subscribed soley for the sake of making this
> proposal, so if I'm at the wrong list, please let me know.

If you have a proposal for HTML/XHTML, www-html@w3.org would be more
appropriate.  If your proposal is related to styling, www-style@w3.org
would be better.

> MY QUESTIONS: How do I find out if a proposal like this is already being
> (has been) considered?

You might want to have a look at how CSS handles numbering:

  CSS2, "12.5 Automatic counters and numbering" (Recommendation)

  CSS 2.1, "12.4 Automatic counters and numbering" (Candidate Recommendation)

  CSS3 Generated and Replaced Content Module, "8. Automatic counters
  and numbering" (Working Draft)

> And, since it is unlikely such a
> proposal would be adopted and implemented in any popular browser any time
> soon (in a human lifetime), might anyone have pointers to work-arounds for a
> similary capability (numbered headings)?

FYI, Amaya let you number section headings quite easily:

Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium