Re: HTTP/1.1 Chunked Transfer Encoding

michael_pacey@standardlife.com writes:

> My problem is we have a customer who can't interpret this chunk, but also a
> java client using third-party HTTP libraries which DOES interpret the chunk
> properly! I think we have a bug, my colleagues think the bug lies with the
> customer?
>
> Who is right?

I think the customer is right.

this is from HTTP/1.1 rfc2616:

   3.6.1 Chunked Transfer Coding

   The chunked encoding modifies the body of a message in order to
   transfer it as a series of chunks, each with its own size indicator,
   followed by an OPTIONAL trailer containing entity-header fields. This
   allows dynamically produced content to be transferred along with the
   information necessary for the recipient to verify that it has
   received the full message.

Note the words "message body". As we know, the body doesn't include
the header.

However, if you have a buggy server then maybe your java client knows
about that and has taken steps to accept the buggy response. That is
the HTTP way after all.

I might be able to help you more if you're a little more up front
with the specific software you're using.

Nic