Re: req: disability renderer?

From: Al Gilman <al.gilman@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:06:49 -0500
To: "owen beresford" <owencanprogram@fastmail.fm>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

At 06:48 PM 2003-12-17, you wrote:

>does any one know of an html renderer that will simulate
>visual disabilities.
>i.e. in red-green colour-blind mode, it would display
>both as brown

There are some available simulations.

>prefereably across a wide range of visual limitations

Aye, there's the rub.  The consensus on the web content guidelines
list (or the least common denominator of what different parties
hold) is that there is no 'universal' color usage.  One can check
automagically for bad color use but not guarantee universal results
with any specific color use.

     4. text content is not presented over a background image or color OR
        the colors used for the text and background or background image
        pass the following test:
           + no tests/algorithms are available at this time

    A 20 db difference in sound level is roughly 4 times quieter (or

    Editorial Note: The working group is seeking an algorithm that
    measures contrast in a way that is accurate and testable enough that
    we could include it in the guidelines. One algorithm, which comes from
    the [77]Techniques For Accessibility Evaluation And Repair Tools
    document, is currently under consideration for inclusion in the
    techniques, but the group has not yet found something that is specific
    enough to be included at the guidelines level.

[77] http://www.w3.org/TR/AERT

So continue to backstop color connotations with verbal and
structural parallels.

>this would be very usefull for accessable websites...

Somewhat useful, see above.