Re: CSS and Tables (possibly more)

From: Etan Wexler <etanwexler@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:29:07 -0800
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
To: Graves LCpl Phillip A <GravesPA@IIMEF.USMC.MIL>

Phillip Graves ("Graves LCpl Phillip A") wrote to
<mailto:www-talk@w3.org> on 21 July 2003 in "CSS and Tables (possibly
more)" (<mid:16AA3A5F03C6BA47A60B93A80A394FBB2D4944@lejeune.usmc.mil>)

> Although I don't particularly like them, I was asked to use them in a
> webpage for an overhaul, and I was wondering since they're designed to
> increase consistency over your pages, why aren't CSS shortcuts
> included for table formatting?

The www-talk list is "for technical discussion among those developing
World Wide Web software".

If you want to criticize or augment CSS specifications, the www-style
list is the place to send messages (<mailto:www-style@w3.org>).

For how-to questions, an appropriate forum would be the CSS authoring
newsgroup (<news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets>),
css-discuss (<http://css-discuss.incutio.com/>), and so on.

With that said, let's address your question.

CSS level 2, which reached W3C Recommendation status in 1998, includes
an entire chapter on table formatting:

CSS level 2.1, intended to supersede level 2, keeps a revision of that

I believe that these chapters and the properties defined in them
provide the "shortcuts" which you are seeking.

If there's a problem in implementation of the CSS table model, that's
an issue to raise with the vendors.

Etan Wexler.