Associated image meta data

From: Kai Hendry <hendry@cs.helsinki.fi>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:24:55 +0300
To: www-talk@w3.org

I am looking into 'standards' regarding meta information associated into
bitmap images.

We have in mind to implement a tool(or plugin) to describe iconic
aspects of an image.  By selecting polygon outline shape of someone in
an png image for example, and labeling it with that someone's name.

We hope there is already some standard to do with this, perhaps already
done by the W3C.

We intend on storing this information in XML. With PNG or JPG, perhaps
in the header or in a separate file.

Take a look at the pictures here for a better idea:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/group/ohtu/ke-2003/ikonisetpiirteet.html

I would be grateful for any pointers in the right direction.

Kind regards,
-Kai Hendry