Re: URL semantics extension for search engines

#
> ... which should open the document, and position the top of browser
> window at first occurence of MIME inside rfc1341.txt

I think a more practical way to go about it is to use a page rewriting
proxy that inserts anchors into the page.  Most browsers jump to anchors
in midpage when they appear on a URL.  With a different syntax, e.g.

  http://ds.internic.org/rfc/rfc1341.txt?occ1=MIME

it can insert just one anchor in response to the request.

Google already does something like this server side.

--
Reinier Post
TU Eindhoven