Re: URL semantics extension for search engines

From: Reinier Post <rp@win.tue.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:24:46 +0200
To: Mirsad Todorovac <mtodorov@alu.hr>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 03:57:31PM +0200, Mirsad Todorovac wrote:
> Dear reader,
> As I've been proposing previously, the grown importance of search
> engines has brought this proposal back into attention.
> The proposal was to extend the meaning of the URL semantic so it
> could address inside a target document, similar to the way <A
> NAME="target"> does.
> To clarify, extension would be to allow a form *example syntax*:
> http://ds.internic.org/rfc/rfc1341.txt#/MIME
> ... which should open the document, and position the top of browser
> window at first occurence of MIME inside rfc1341.txt

I think a more practical way to go about it is to use a page rewriting
proxy that inserts anchors into the page.  Most browsers jump to anchors
in midpage when they appear on a URL.  With a different syntax, e.g.

it can insert just one anchor in response to the request.

Google already does something like this server side.

Reinier Post
TU Eindhoven