special chars: male and female sign

From: Marco Bleeker <marco_bleeker@hetnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:12:09 +0200
To: www-talk@w3.org
Cc: Hans de Jong <html@handleidinghtml.nl>

Hello, I am a biologist and on the internet since 1994. Now, after all this
time, I am surprised that the special characters for "male" and "female"
still don't work. You know, "male" is a circle with an arrow pointing out
to the top right (same as the sign for the planet Mars) and "female" is a
circle with a cross underneith (same as the sign for the planet Venus).
While at it: for bisexual beings (such as most flowering plants) it would
be nice to also have the combined sign.

I have noticed that there is a whole list of mathematical signs that now
work in HTML, implemented in Unicode. I have also found that the two signs
I am looking for listen to Unicode 2640 and 2642. But they don't work in
html... or at least not in MSIE 5.5 under Win98SE. Would other or newer
browsers do better? I think there is a real need for this, and when it can
be done for mathematics - please help biology too!

Thanks, Marco
--
Marco Bleeker, Amsterdam, NL.
Please do not distribute my email address to a third party