Re: comments? mirrors.txt (aka site metadata)

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 22:59:52 -0800
To: "Justin Chapweske" <justin@chapweske.com>, <www-talk@w3.org>

> Mark, I agree with most of your statements, but I might suggest that
> another way to look at the problem is as a URI resolution problem.
>
> Rather than trying to describe a "mirror" for a link, I think a more
> consistent approach is to provide pointers to a URI resolver for that
link.

I very much agree that there's more than one way to skin this cat; I was
only looking at it from the metadata angle (since that's a recurring bee
in my bonnet).

> Very nice.  This solves a problem that I was beating my head against for
> describing a given resolver service as pertaining to a set of URIs.
>
> Could you briefly describe the differences/similarities between this and
> XPath???

Ooh. At first glance, they're quite different; URISpace is an XML format
for assigning metadata to URIs somewhat arbitrarily. I suppose that the
similarity is that URISpace is something of an XPath for URIs, if you turn
your head a certain way...

Cheers,