How to advertise acceptable content types sent via POST or PUT

From: S. Mike Dierken <mdierken@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:48:48 -0800
To: <rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: <www-talk@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "S. Alexander Jacobson" <alex@vo.com>

> Why not just have the server return an
> accept: header with MIME types describing what the
> client is allowed to post?
The immediate reason is that Accept: is a request header, not a response
header.
But since I don't know of a standard way for a resource to advertise its
various representations or to advertise its acceptable content, I think a
simple approach like you suggest sounds neat.

This should probably be posted to www-talk also

Note: there is an Allow response header listing the supported methods...