Re: resource immutability

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 22:25:18 -0800
To: "Gerald Oskoboiny" <gerald@w3.org>
Cc: <www-talk@w3.org>

> It might just be a matter of educating people what is already possible.

I was thinking of something that would allow lower-cost implementations;
right now, if a tool wants to take advantage of such information, it needs
to implement a complete, HTTP-compliant cache. An immutable flag would
lower the bar considerably; it says "yes, just store a local copy and use
it from now on."

> The other day the RSS world discovered ETags and it seems to have
> spread around various implementations quite quickly, after some
> people wrote it up clearly and others became motivated enough by
> the bandwidth savings to spend time implementing it.

Saw that; very encouraging.