How web server sends images?

From: Mukul Gandhi <mukulw3@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-talk@w3.org

I want to know how a standard Web Server(HTTP 1.1)
sends image files to the browser. I believe it sends
Content-type header to tell the type of content. Apart
from that how does it actually send the image data?
What encoding it does, where does it exactly place the
data and what delimiters it specifies? Is there any
document on Internet which describes this?

Regards,
Mukul