Re: discovering site metadata

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:37:04 -0800
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

Well, I wrote up an I-D about this and everything, but after some
experimentation with Apache and IIS, it looks like supporting this
is... difficult.

Instead, what about just making a request to the most generic
resource on the server (i.e., /) and requesting the appropriate
content-type? So,

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.example.org
Accept: application/p3p-prf+xml

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.example.com
Accept: text/robots

406 Not Acceptable (or a response with a mismatching media type)
would indicate that it isn't available (in which case the legacy
well-known location could be polled).

(I chose OPTIONS * because that was an explicit request about the
*entire* server. After being lightly steeped in REST for a while, I
think that requests to / can make statements about all of the
subresources of / authoritatively. What I do want to avoid, however,
is having more than one entry point - it would be bad if you had to
request /images/ to see what metadata applied to subresources of it,
for example).

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/