Re: Web Object Services

From: Brendan Macmillan <bren@mail.csse.monash.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:21:55 +1000 (EST)
To: jim@xanthus.net (Jim Whitescarver)
Cc: distobj@acm.org (Mark Baker), www-talk@w3.org (Www-Talk), www-ws@w3.org (www-ws), www-dist-auth@w3.org (www-dist-auth), jkyu0411@yahoo.com (Jessica Uang)
> How do I do this with existing web capabilities?
>
> I presume we would need some common or coordinated RDF repository.  I would
> somehow find the RDF service with UDDI and get the needed SOAP services from
> the WSDL definitions?

> Perhaps there are answers to these questions, but without the answers the web
> is no more than big file store.  Objects on the web is certainly possible
> today, but unless there are standards we cannot say "web objects" and not be
> mixing apples and oranges.
I totally agree - however, I think that web services are just not yet ready
for the kind of application you have in mind.

Maybe the xml-dev list would yeild some better leads - but I think you end up
needing to create a lot of these specifications yourself.  ;-)

You might also contact some of the existing standards bodies - they certainly
will be motivated by many of the same issues as your clients!

Cheers,
Brendan
--
e:  bren@mail.csse.monash.edu.au                    v:  +61 (3)  9905 1502
Email is checked daily                              Phone is rarely attended