Re: "treat this as text" option

From: Lynn Andrea Stein <lynn.stein@olin.edu>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 18:43:03 -0400
To: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
CC: www-talk@w3.org
Thanks for asking....the use case is so clear in my mind, I forget others
can't read it :o)

I get a web page that is advertising a mime type that is a special kind of
text.  E.g., Dan Connolly tells me to look at the newest rdf he's written,
with mime type text/xml.  I want to tell my browser to open this as though it
were plain text, i.e., in a "regular" browser window.  My current browser (and
most I've tried) only give me the pick app/save file choice, so I wind up
having to spawn an external editor (automatically or manually, depending on
which I select) when the browser could ^&*( well show me the text itself, if
only it would let me tell it to do so.

DanC's clarification

> I encouraged Lynn to send this request here because
> the MIME specs say[1] that unknown text/* types should be
> treated as text/plain, but web browsers don't do that.

is excellent, but I maintain that I might even want to have this option (treat
as text) for other types (not explicitly specified as subtypes of text).
I.e., there are two problems:  Browsers should follow the mime spec wrt
unknown text/* types, and (separately) the unknown mime type error message
should include a "treat as text" option.

Lynn