Re: Content-Encoding: deflate - is this zlib file format?

In message <Pine.GSO.4.33.0109071522520.28308-100000@beowulf.ucsd.edu>
          Fritz Schneider <fritz@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Daniel Barron wrote:
>
> > I'm writing a filtering web proxy (see sig) and I'm having trouble with
> > check the content.
> >
> > When it says 'Content-Encoding: gzip', I can just read from the socket as
> > if I were reading a gzip file from the filesystem and pass it through the
> > gzip decompression included in zlib.
> > [snip]
>
> 	It seems to me that an easier solution might be to have your proxy
> send an "Accept-Encoding" HTTP header to the server in order to disallow
> compressed data...

That was my initial reaction.  Infact that is what I did in version 1 of
my proxy.  I want version 2 to 'do it properly'.

I've just tried opening the data saved as a file in perl using perls zlib
library.  It said data error.

So what format is it actually in?

--
Daniel Barron