Client-side style sheet assignment

From: Schwartz, Todd <todd.schwartz@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:10:26 -0700
To: "'www-talk@w3.org'" <www-talk@w3.org>
All,

It seems to me that there is a need for a standardized way to associate a
style sheet with an XML source document on the client.  The stylesheet PI is
fine for making such associations on the server, but it seems very
cumbersome for a client to resort to inserting a stylesheet PI in the XML
before parsing time, which is the only *standard* means of stylesheet
association I know of.  For example, what if you could specify such
associations in a URI, for example, by using the pipe character '|' to
denote the transformation, as follows:

"http://their-server/source-doc.xml|http://my-server/my-style-sheet.xsl"

Another nice thing about this approach is that you could apply
transformations to specific *parts* of documents, by using XPointer
expressions:

"http://my-server/my-doc.xml#SOME_PART|http://their-server/some-stylesheet.x
sl"

Does this seem useful to anyone else?  Is there another *standard* way to do
this that I am missing?

Thanks,
Todd Schwartz
Intel Corporation