Re: discovering site metadata

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 22:05:44 -0800
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

The upside is that it is pretty reasonable as far as saving
roundtrips. The downside is that people would have to configure their
servers to intercept OPTIONS * and do content negotiation on it.

This should be easy-ish to do in Apache; not sure about IIS. In any
case it should be relatively easy to come up with a module that took
a special directory of site metadata files and made them available as
appropriate.

I think it would have a decent chance of catching on if configuration
was fairly easy, and a few specs (like P3P and the Web Service
discovery thingy that was recently floated) adopted it. Fighting
against robots.txt will be hard...

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/