Re: What is at the end of the namespace?

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 03:23:13PM -0500, Mark Baker wrote:
> > > Earlier you suggested that "brilliance" was abstract, yet I happen
> > > to have a URI for it here;
> > >
> > > http://www.markbaker.ca/2001/11/Brilliance/
> >
> > No, that's a URL to retrieve a definition of the abstract
> > concept 'BRILLIANCE' from a particular web location.
>
> No, it's what I say it is.  How can you, or anybody else, tell me what
> I'm naming?

Nobody can, not even you.

The claim that URIs identify something only implies that when you and I
use the same URI it will refer to the same thing, by definition.
This is in the context of software, so it means that either your software
interacts with the same thing my software interacts with, or something
is broken.  There is no way software can interact with the concept of
brilliance.

--
Reinier Post