Re: What is at the end of the namespace?

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:10:14 -0800
To: Andy Powell <a.powell@ukoln.ac.uk>
Cc: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com, www-talk@w3.org, uri@w3.org

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 09:54:41AM +0000, Andy Powell wrote:
> So, I'll ask the same question I asked a few days back...  if I
> make an RDF statement about http://www.w3.org/2001/SMIL20/, am I
> making a statement about the abstract SMIL namespace or am I making
> a statement about the HTML page that the uri resolves to?
>
> The only answer I got last time suggested that I'd be making a
> statement about the abstract concept.  If this is the accepted
> view, then I still do not underdstand how I make a statement about
> the HTML page that uri resolves to.  Presumably, the dc:creator of
> the abstract namespace is not the dc:creator of the HTML page at
> the namespace uri - so there are valid reasons for wanting to make
> RDF statements about both.  As far as I can tell,
> http://www.w3.org/2001/SMIL20/ is the only uri for that HTML page
> so I don't see how else I can make a statement about it.

I'm fairl new to RDF, but I would think the difference is roughly

  <http://www.example.org/someResource> a :Something .
vs.
  [ :href <http://www.example.org/someResource> ; a :SomethingElse ] .

just as there's a difference between the string 'mnot' and the
concept of me.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham, Research Scientist