Re: What is at the end of the namespace?

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:55:11 -0000
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <fielding@ebuilt.com>
Cc: <www-talk@w3.org>, <uri@w3.org>
> > No, URNs are only those URI that start with a "urn" scheme.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Yes, I know that the recent "clarification" could be interpreted
> to say that, but it doesn't actually *say* that ;-)

Hmm... you're right. That's a bit of a faux pas. The spirit of the
contemporary view is that the distinction between the taxonomies is
melting away into something a little more grounded by ten years of Web
implementation.

Really, we need an awful lot more documents like uri-clarification
[1]. It was a fair start, and there are a lot of questions to be
addressed, but I don't think that it has gone any way to resolving
discussions such as this one before they start. I'm not even 100% sure
what the statuses are of the groups at the W3C and IETF charted to
deal with this.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/uri-clarification/

--
Kindest Regards,