Re: What is at the end of the namespace?

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@ebuilt.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:40:04 -0800
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
Cc: sean@mysterylights.com, www-talk@w3.org, uri@w3.org
> Are you saying that HTTP URLs are also URNs?

No, URNs are only those URI that start with a "urn" scheme.  What I said is
that HTTP URLs are identifiers, and hence names, and therefore capable of
being a symbolic replacement for any other identifier, including URNs.

> Does that mean that
> all of the work being done by the URN WG is for nothing?  Are they
> just wasting their time, since we already have HTTP URLs and can
> just use those?

I have been saying that for the past eight years.  That doesn't mean it is
a waste of their time, only that the solution to persistent naming isn't
obtained merely by changing the scheme name.

....Roy