Re: What is at the end of the namespace?

From: <roconnor@Math.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:26:12 -0800 (PST)
To: <www-talk@w3.org>

> > Yes, URIs *may* denote abstract resources. No, HTTP URLs may *not*.
>
> Patrick, as an author of both of those specifications, I can
> definitively state that what you are saying does not match what I intended
> when I wrote the sections to which you have referred.

I must admit that I always thought that HTTP URIs were some retrivable
resouce, but after looking at the introduction to  RFC 2068:

   Practical information systems require more functionality than simple
   retrieval, including search, front-end update, and annotation. HTTP
   allows an open-ended set of methods that indicate the purpose of a
   request.

It seems that Sean is right.  HTTP URIs seem like they could mean
anything.

- --
Russell O'Connor                        roconnor@alumni.uwaterloo.ca
           <http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~roconnor/>
``This is not a time, as it is never a time, to seek vengeance, but a
time to seek the courage to forgive'' -- George W. Bush