Signing Documents (Was: ten years of www-talk!)

From: <roconnor@math.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 15:15:26 -0800 (PST)
To: <www-talk@w3.org>

I'm about ready to tackle the signing of web documents again.  After
reviewing the discussion last April, the best suggestion I've received is
to use HTTP content-negotiation a la <http://www.w3.org/TR/photo-rdf/>.
That is to have some sort of mime-type for a signature that could be
retrived instead.

This still strikes me as a poor solution because a document and it's
signature are different resources, and I think that content-negotiation is
for determining the format of the same resource.

There was some mention of HTTP extensions somewhere.  Anyone have comments
on this?

The solution really ought to be implemented as an HTTP solution so that
all resources can be signed.

- --
Russell O'Connor                           roconnor@math.berkeley.edu
``This is not a time, as it is never a time, to seek vengeance, but a
time to seek the courage to forgive'' -- George W. Bush
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (SunOS)