Re: XHTML's reception

From: Clover Andrew <aclover@1value.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:10:00 +0200
To: <www-talk@w3.org>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
> however he omits the --> ending that (i think i'm right in saying)
> browsers like IE2 require

Actually, there was no <!-- around the CDATA, so an ending wasn't
required; I was hoping indeed that tag-soup munchers would see the
]]> as the end of the <![CDATA unknown-SGML-magic "tag". Come to
think of it, though, this causes a problem in that you can't get a
'>' character into the script without it also ending the unknown-tag
on pre-script browsers. Which is a bit harsh.

I offer, then, this even more aesthetically questionable solution:

  <script type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[ // ><!--
    (scripting)

Which I think should work on XML parsers and tag-soup browsers,
with only the sequences "--", "</" and "]]>" taboo in the scripting.
It works on everything I've tried here, except of course Mozilla
which uses an XML parser but fails to understand CDATA marked
sections altogether. Ah well...

--
Andrew Clover
Technical Consultant