Re: TAG and WWW Architecture

From: Simon <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: 06 Jun 2001 12:17:24 +0000
To: William "F." Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Cc: asgilman@iamdigex.net, mjumbe@electricstoat.com, www-talk@w3.org
On 06 Jun 2001 11:53:00 -0400, William F. Hammond wrote:
> Moreover, the public's trust does and will ultimately rest in the
> continued soundness of the recommendations that W3C publishes.  The
> point where those recommendations show up with faults (other than
> self-serving resistance in certain instances of some in the community)
> will be the time to object.

I'm afraid that the 'faults' of Namespaces in XML have already raised
objections, though I certainly can't comment on whether they are
self-serving or not.

There are plenty of concerns regarding XML Schema, and XHTML isn't
exactly receiving a rousing welcome from either vendors or the Web
development community.

I don't think any of this is surprising, nor do I think it likely that a
TAG would have done anything to improve the public trust in these
specifications.

For a lot of us, it's not about doubt in the "continuing soundness" -
it's doubt in what's been delivered so far.