Re: TAG and WWW Architecture

>From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
>Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 01:34:55 -0500
>
>The W3C is working on a proposal[2] for what they call a Technical
>Architecture Group (TAG). The TAG will be like a working-group but remain
>active throughout the life time of the W3C. Members will be voted on, and
>the group will write recommendations and notes. In essence, the group will
>decide and define Web architecture in private. I think this is an awful
>decision for the future of the Web.

i hope that the letter that Aaron sent out[1] a couple weeks ago is
inaccurate.  if so is there anyone from the W3C who can refute it?  if not,
then these are not happy times.  the W3C seems to be trying to make the web
into some sort of paradoxical democratic oligarchy.  /they/ tell us what we
can and can't have a say over.

the web is not theirs to rule over.  who even gave them the power to govern.
  not to downplay obviously more devastating experiences, but they're
assuming the amount of responsibility over the internet that European
settlers did over the Native Americans' and Africans' lands.  the W3C are
becoming technological squatters.

now, don't take this as an "I Hate W3C" letter at all.  i quite appreciate
most that the people there have done for the internet so far, but this is
definitely a step backwards.  the power of the W3C lies in it's legitimacy.
becoming oligarchical will doubtlessly pit many people against the
consortium and thus reduce its legitimacy and make it a less effective
group.

i second Aaron's dissention.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/2001MayJun/0076.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/02/12-tag (apparently w3c menber access only)