Re: text/html for xml extensions of XHTML

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 23:13:22 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: "William F. Hammond" <hammond@csc.albany.edu>, <mozilla-mathml@mozilla.org>, <www-talk@w3.org>
Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>> If I include a minor bit of namespaced content in my document (say, RDF
>> metadata -- which I certainly plan to do, or many other possibilites) it
>> will likely not change the vast majority of the document (RDF metadata will
>> not be visible to the average browser) and thus the document will be
>> properly processed by older browsers, or processed 90% correctly.
>
> Given that Mozilla (currently) won't do anything with RDF metadata placed
> in a text/xml XHTML file, that's not an argument to change Mozilla's
> behaviour. (If you wish to make this argument for other browsers, mozilla-
> mathml@mozilla.org is not the right forum.)

RDF was merely one example. In the case of MathML, if I were to state that I
like the expression:

e^iž

(however it's represented in MathML) I'd like the rest of my homepage to
display properly in most browsers. Such XML additions should degrade
gracefully, not cause me to have to make new versions. Perhaps Mozilla could
introduce some sort of comment element for namespaces. Something like:

    <nogrok:namespace uri="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">Your browser
    does not understand MathML -- the following formula will not make
    sense.</nogrok:namespace>

Similar to the <noscript> hack for JavaScript.