Re: text/html for xml extensions of XHTML

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 21:09:07 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
To: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
cc: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>, <hammond@csc.albany.edu>, <mozilla-mathml@mozilla.org>, <www-talk@w3.org>
On Wed, 2 May 2001, Aaron Swartz wrote:

> I have an HTML document that is well-formed XML. I want it to be read by my
> grandma who runs Netscape 3.0. I must send it as text/html so that she can
> read it with Netscape's HTML parser. Netscape 7.0, which understands XML
> just fine, realizes that my document is XML and thus parses it with its XML
> parser. Everybody wins. Where is the issue, Ian?

In the case you describe, you would not be able to tell the difference
between Netscape 7.0 handling the document as text/html, and Netscape 7.0
handling the document as text/xml.

So clearly that is not the case you care about.

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'