Re: text/html for xml extensions of XHTML

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 09:31:50 -0500
To: ian@hixie.ch
CC: aswartz@swartzfam.com, RobertM@dessci.com, hammond@csc.albany.edu, mozilla-mathml@mozilla.org, www-talk@w3.org

Hi.

> But you can already do that. That's no problem, and works fine with
> sending all text/html through HTML parsers. What people are arguing is
> that text/html should be sent through _XML_ parsers on modern UAs, so that
> namespaces can be processed... which immediately means that the document
> would not work on older browsers, so the argument falls apart.

I presume you already know I disagree with this, but I feel obliged to
correct this misapprehension at every instance.  I don't want to send
HTML to XML parsers -- I only want XML ***incorrectly identified with
the MIME type text/html due to circumstances beyond the authors
control*** to be sent to XML parsers.

--Robert

Robert Miner                                    RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com